How do I request an abatement to my water bill?

If you had an identifiable water leak during the billing period, submit an abatement request along with documentation of the repair (i.e. contractor's receipt) to the Water Department. The Superintendent will review the request and, if approved, will reduce the charges for all the used water to the lowest tiered rate paid by the customer during the last 3 years. The abatement request must be received within 30 days of the bill’s issue date in order to be processed prior to the due date. In some cases the request may not be reviewed until after the bill date, at which point the customer should pay the water bill and any approved requests will have monies credited toward their account.

Show All Answers

1. What if I have a water emergency?
2. What if I have discolored water?
3. Who do I call if I see someone using a hydrant?
4. How do I pay my water bill on-line?
5. Why does the tap water look cloudy?
6. How do I request an abatement to my water bill?